Family members denounce deaths in Detroit fire

7 January 2010

Following a week of bitter cold weather, three people living in a home without gas or electrical service died in a tragic house fire in Detroit early Tuesday morning. It is suspected the blaze was caused by a space heater, which was being used to warm the household as temperatures dropped to 4 degrees Fahrenheit, with a wind chill of minus fifteen, over the last few days.

Killed in the fire were Marvin Allen, 62, and his brother, Tyrone Allen, 61, who were both disabled, and Tyrone’s girlfriend, Lynn Greer, 58. The sole survivor was Ronald Gross, a family member, who escaped by jumping out of the second floor window.

Larry Porter reports for the World Socialist Web Site.

Contribute to the fight for socialism in 2020

2019 has been a year of mass social upheaval. We need you to help the WSWS and ICFI make 2020 the year of international socialist revival. We must expand our work and our influence in the international working class. If you agree, donate today. Thank you.